I have been eyeing off fabrics dyed with avocado skins, for ages. In fact, every time one of those beautiful muted tones comes through my feed, and I see that it’s been dyed with natural dye, I do a double take. I love the colours…….absolutely love the elegance of the muted tones. There’s something so fragile and understated about them. And given that I’m big on the curated wardrobe theme, lately, I’ve been able to see a lot of merit in learning all about the process.
But I’m impatient! So, learning for me was You Tube….short, sharp and visual (I will do the in depth reading over the next few ………….weeks maybe?). Anyway, without really knowing what I was doing, I had a go. I bought 6 unripe avocados, 2 meters of muslin and 2 meters of homespun. I also bought a great big second hand deep fryer from the Salvos.
The process (my untested/slap dash version, that is)
- Wash the fabric
- Peel the avocados
- place the skins in the top of the deep fryer
- place the fabric in the bottom of the deep fryer
- fill the deep fryer with water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 6 hours
- Rinse under cold running water
This was the outcome of the muslin
Once I had completed the muslin, I froze the dye to save it for the home spun which I did a couple of days later. Now the home spun took the dye far easier than the muslin (perhaps the colour was more developed? I’ll have to read about that) so I immersed it for an hour only.
Sewing with muslin and/or homespun
Even though this was an experiment, I wanted to make something with the fabrics because I love the colour (which I would describe in real life as dusty pink meets salmon). Now call me strange but I absolutely love muslin. I think it’s soft and lovely and elegant….not to mention cool. I understand why babies are swaddled in it because I would love to be swaddled in it myself (in fact I think I’m going to make myself some muslin sheets). Of course it has no body and is difficult to manage under the machine and you can see straight through it. But I doubled it and that worked quite well. In fact, it was putty in my hands and it sewed beautifully.
The pattern I used was Burda Style 7521 (A) and I’ve included a picture because I think this one is OOP……….. shame because it’s an easy make / easy wear.
Now, the pants in homespun? Different story. I don’t like homespun one little bit. But it did the job. And the pants turned out well. I used the good old NewLook 6461 which I’ve now used 4 times. You just can go wrong with that pattern.
I think the look borders a bit on the ‘pyjama’ because it is pink (maybe). But then again I love the pink. I’m a bit sorry I didn’t do the pants in muslin too……….or of course a beautiful linen……….but I was trying to see how economical I could be (under $20 for the whole outfit…..INCLUDING avocados that were seconds). The ‘pyjama’ effect could also be a function of the homespun which is really not satisfactory for pants. But I loved the exercise , am excited about the possibilities and can’t wait to learn all about it.
I hope you enjoyed this post…or better still, got a kick out of seeing how good the finished product is, even when it’s made by a mere mortal (amateur).
It’s late, so sweet dreams